Re: registration form with activation code sent to user

Documented research indicate that on Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:20:31 +0100 (BST),
babu wrote:

> Ya joseph u r right, i am thinking of the url to be generated to be send to the user.
> I followed u r steps but did not understand some points.
>
>>>2.) Store that string to the database somewhere
>         where to store in database, i mean when the user clicks the activation code how to check the users identity.?

I actually made this exact functionality for one of my projects a few weeks
ago. I made a seperate table simply called 'confirm', that contains the
userID for the user in question, the confirmationcode to match, and the
expiration time for this confirmationcode, plus an auto-incremented index
column.

In the users table I then simply have a boolean field called 'confirmed',
that's set to 0 (false) by default. When a user's email address have been
confirmed, this field is changed to 1 (true).

The only reason I have expiration time in this table is for cleanup
purposes.

>>>3.) Email the mail to the address specified with the url to the confirm page
>       one must send the email manually or is there any automatic generator for email sending to users.?

Read up on the mail() function. It's actually pretty simple.

All you have to do is send an email, with some proper explanatory text,
with a link to your confirm.php script (or what you choose to call it),
either with a direct link with a get statement including the confirmation
code, or with a link to the confirmation script, and then the confirmation
code and instructions on how to enter it. Or at best: offer both options.

Then simply have your user registration/signup code send the email whenever
a user registers.

>>>this will confirm that they did in fact check thier email.
>  how exactly, can explain little bit.?

Make the code generate a unique confirmation code (this is pretty simple),
and then just have your confirmation script compare the confirmation code
with the one in the database. If there's a match then the user to whom you
sent that particular code is confirmed.

All of the code needed to do this is actually fairly simple to write.

Rene