Cannot connect to local MySQL -- Client does not support authentication protocol

I am trying to set up my laptop to run PHP and MySQL together.My system summary is:Win 2000 (localhost)PHP 4.3.11MySQL Server 4.1.12MySQL Client 5.0.0MySQL Admin 1.0.9I can connect to my local MySQL host using MySQL client tools.I can connect to a remote MySQL server (don't know the exact version) from PHP in a very simple connect/select template.But I cannot connect to my local MySQL Server from my local PHP installation.Using phpMyAdmin version 2.2.7-pl1, the error message is:"MySQL said: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"PHP BB gives a similar message:"Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 48"Can anyone suggest how to solve this problem?  I've spent the better part of every evening for th epast week trying to get PHP and MySQL to work...I'm at wits end.ThanksScott