Re: Headers sent error msg on one server but not the other.....

I suggest you to activate "Output Buffering" at beggining of your code. It's so easy and should not modify the output of your code.
This prevents your error "Headers already sent".
At the first line of your PHP code, insert "ob_start()" and in the end of your code insert "ob_clean_flush()".

If you do not want to use "Output Buffering" you should remove any character sent, including Cr Lf (\n\r). I think it's so hard and I don't recommend it.

Depending of your server, PHP can evaluate \n\r as nothing or evaluate \n\r as an output.

Craig Hoffman wrote:
Hey Folks,
I have a script that times out the session if there is no activity in a certain amount of time. If there is no activity the HEADER() redirects to the logout page and kills the session. Everything works fine on our test server, but when I test the script on the production server, I get an error "HEADERS ALREADY SENT..." after no activity. I know all this stuff needs to be on top, before any XHTML.

The test server has reg globals = OFF and the production server has them set to ON. I can't change the any PHP.INI settings on the production server. Both servers are running PHP 4.3.10. Other than that PHP installation is close to identical. Any ideas / thoughts on what's causing the production server to send this error out? Something to steer me in the right direction... I'm attaching a code snippet to look at:

Something is generating output before you get there - it could be as simple as:
---
<?php
$stuff = '';
?>

<?php
$otherstuff = '';
?>
---
Did you spot it? That's right - a carriage return was sent. Since your application works locally, I'd have to assume something is sending output before your scripts even start. Is there any kind of header, wrapper, server-side include, or anything around the script - or perhaps you're making use of output buffering and the server isn't allowing its use?

cheers,
--
- Martin Norland, Sys Admin / Database / Web Developer, International Outreach x3257
The opinion(s) contained within this email do not necessarily represent those of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.