Re: Too many $_GETs?

On Monday 25 April 2005 17:54, Juffermans, Jos wrote:
> As far as I know there is no limit on the amount of variables, however
> there is a limit on the length of the URL including query (I believe 256
> characters).
>
> Normally I would use hidden fields in a form (method POST) for this kinda
> stuff.

It's up to the server. Check the RFC 2616 (HTTP Protocol):

"
   The HTTP protocol does not place any a priori limit on the length of
   a URI. Servers MUST be able to handle the URI of any resource they
   serve, and SHOULD be able to handle URIs of unbounded length if they
   provide GET-based forms that could generate such URIs. A server
   SHOULD return 414 (Request-URI Too Long) status if a URI is longer
   than the server can handle (see section 10.4.15).

      Note: Servers ought to be cautious about depending on URI lengths
      above 255 bytes, because some older client or proxy
      implementations might not properly support these lengths.
"