retrieve enum values

Hi!

I have a column type enum in mysql.
At the moment the possible values are 1,2 and 3.

I make a form for my user to modify that value, something like:
<select>
<option value='1'>1</option>
<option value='2'>2</option>
<option value='3'>3</option>
</select>

I may need to add a value 4 to the enum, and in that case I would like to avoid modifying the code.

I would like to know it it is possible to have something like:
select possible_enum_values from table ...
and then having a loop through these values.
I can't select distinct values in that column because one value may not exist yet and I don't want to have fake records.

I found that in the mysql doc and was wondering if there is an already implemented php function intsead of having to parse:
" If you want to determine all possible values for an ENUM column, use SHOW COLUMNS FROM tbl_name LIKE enum_col and parse the ENUM definition in the second column of the output."

Any idea?

Melanie