mysql query plan

Hello,

We are working to optimize a few queries.  When we run the query with
Explain, it appears that the query optimizer is not using one of the
tables index and doing a full table scan while it appears to use other
tables' indices properly.  We then remove the table with the full
scan, run again with Explain and now the optimizer seems to ignore the
index of one of the other tables when it correctly used that table's
index before in the previous run.  Anyone have some good insight into
how the optimizer picks it's query plan?  It seems to pick one table
and ignore the index for some reason.

Thanks!