Subject: Web Printing

At 10:27 31/03/2005 +0000, you wrote:
From: "Ng Hwee Hwee" <hhwee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PHP DB List" <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:24:41 +0800

Hi all,

i am wondering how can i use PHP to fix the position of my header and footer

PHP cannot help you here, it's the wrong tool for the job (it's a "hammer" not a "screwdriver" so to speak).
You need to (*must* !!!) use CSS to position and specify the height and dimensions of the thead and tfoot thus :

thead { display: table-header-group; position: absolute; top: 0; height: 36pt; width: 100%; }

tfoot {
        display: table-footer-group;
        position: absolute;
        bottom: 0;
        height: 36pt;
        width: 100%;
}

These should apply *reasonably* well to position your thead and tfoot row groups in the same place on each printed page (adjust as desired). You *cannot* use PHP to "guess" the height of the page areas reliably unless you are using a fixed pitch font such as a dot matrix line printer. And even then it's somewhat guesswork (I've done both).

But if we're assuming that you're users have laser printers you *must* use CSS to do the print layout, PHP "line height guessing" will not work for you.

Cheers - Neil