Re: ocilogon timeout

Juffermans, Jos wrote:
Hi,

Some of our scripts that generate customer-facing pages, need a connection to a database. The problems is that the database is in Norway and - allthough we have a VPN setup - the connection isn't always available.

In case the connection cannot be made, we can redirect the customer to a nice error page and ask them to try again later. That's not too hard.

The issue is that it takes really really long before ocilogon returns if the

connection cannot be established. Is it possible to set a timeout on ocilogon (like you can with eg fsockopen)?

Rgds,
Jos

Look at the Oracle Net configuration and see if any parameters can be tweaked.

For example, with Oracle 10.1, editing the client-side sqlnet.ora
file and changing

  NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES,EZCONNECT)

  NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES)

removes an extra delay when the connection fails.  In this example you
lose the ability to use 10g Easy Connection syntax, which may not
be important to you.

Chris