dbase and Debian

Hi all, today i found that debian has removed the php4-dbase package
from unstable/testing due maintainer request. This has brought me some
problems with many programs at work, so I decided to create my own
PHP4 package with dbase support, using apt-build.

This mail is to ask, if there is any plan/project/intention to change
the dbase code (that is non-free in debian policy) with other library
like libxbase. I'll look if that can be done without much effort, so I
can send the patch to PHP project, or if I release a php module called
php-xbase separatly.

Unfortunately, I can't convert the dbf files to SQL tables, so, i need
dbase support in PHP :(

Thx.

Ricardo