From: Zouari Fourat <fourat@xxxxxxxxx>
To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Re: paginating : optimising queries
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:02:57 +0100

no one can help me outta here ?

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:58:10 +0100, Zouari Fourat <fourat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Hello, > i made my own paginating class, it permit me to paginate over selected > data and let me do good presentation (page 1, page 2 ...) > i use adodb for db related functions, my application should show in > every page this set of informations : > > Total results : Z, Total page : Y, You are on the page number X. > > To show thos informations, i must do a count on all the table, example : > the query built from the form submitted by the user is : > > select * from table where column=value and column like 'value%' > > to paginate that query, i'll add some LIMIT or LIMIT OFFSET for pgsql > (it's adodb frontend) so i'll get only the data for one page ! > i use this query : > > select count(*) from table > > with that global count i can calculate how much pages i have by > dividing count on the number of rows to show per page. > > with this method, the server will suffer for big tables... > it's a method that i've made without consulting what people do, can > you do this with only ONE query so i can optimise ? > > thank you for your help >