Queries close session

I am using the following script to maintain a login session on some
pages:

<?php
	session_start();
	if(empty($_SESSION['username'])) {
             die('An error has ocurred. It may be that you have not
logged in,
                  or that your session has expired.
                  Please try <a href="index.php">logging in</a> again
                  or contact the
administrator</a>');
	}
?>

The sessions are stable and work fine EXCEPT when I run another PHP
script on the web page such as:

<?php
// Make a MySQL Connection
require "db_connect.inc";

// Retrieve all the data from the "example" table
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM members WHERE Status='Inactive'")
or die(mysql_error());

echo "<table border='1' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='1'
align='center'>";
// keeps getting the next row until there are no more to get
while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $result )) {
// Print out the contents of each row into a table
echo "<tr><td>";
echo $row['Cert_number'];
echo "</td><td>";
echo $row['Dan_rank'];
echo "</td><td>";
echo $row['First'];
echo "</td><td>";
echo $row['Last'];
echo "</td></tr>";
}
echo "</table>";

?>

I'm assuming that I am either not maintaining the session properly or
not linking the scripts to the session.

Any pointers on how to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,

- Ken