Re: PHP and JOIN... (I know.. it's easy!)

Tristan.Pretty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all, long time no post...
I've rebuilt a download tracking system my company uses.
I built the original, and thought that a restructure would be a doddle!
Ooops! ;-)

Anyhoo...
I used to capture each download in it's own row, replicating user data each time.
(Eg: if a user downloaded 5 files, I'd capture their address, email etc, 5

times)

For the redesign, I've got several tables.
a file list table, a user list table, and a capture list table.

I'm built 90% of the front end, and it works great!
However, I'm having trouble getting my head round the reporting side of things. (probably need to stop thinking about it for a while, but I don't have that luxury)

My admin users, will come in, and select a file ID to view who's downloaded it.
So with a file ID No, I need to also get the following:
1. Get the file info from the file table
2. go to the captures table, get all the fields where the file id is the same as theonce requested

the admin user can specify multiple files simultaneously to inspect?

3. count each user that has downloaded it
4. get thier data from the users table

Now I could do this with 4 seperate queries, and a few for loops etc...
But I'm trying to figure out JOIN... as I'm told I can do it all in one query, and make a temp fake table?

can't see why you need a temp table at this junture - maybe you could explain _exactly_ what you want to report to the user (and not so much how/where you intend to get the data from)

I've googled for a decent tutorial, but perhaps I'm just panicing, but they all seem over my head...
(My flatmate is a PHP developer too, and she says that it's easy!.. so I

six women in the world that grok php... and you live with one, b'std :-)

hope I'm just stressed)

Anyhoo, does anyone know of a decent site, that'll really dumb it down for

me, or could talk me through what I'm after?

whaaaaa you want more??? the female flatmate who groks php is not enough :-) only kidding.

Sorry for the long winded E-mail.. but I'm pulling my hair out here.. :-(

post your table structures. that way we can see which fields to join on... btw this is a pure SQL problem - no php knowledge technically require, not to worry!

Tris...