Re: email question

First, you don't use POP3 for sending emails, you use SMTP. POP3 is a retrieval mechanism, like IMAP. You actually don't need POP3 or IMAP to send and receive emails, you need it to read them with a typical mail client (i.e. Outlook). Postfix, Sendmail, etc., don't support POP3 and IMAP directly, you need to use another product like Cyrus, Courier or Qpopper to add POP3 and IMAP.
So, that said, PHP has built-in commands for sending email.
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php
http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

If you read the documentation, you'll notice that there is no option for authenticating. Which means you would need to setup your mail server to allow relaying from your PHP machine. Don't take open relaying lightly, if you do it wrong, you'll be in the spam business. So if you don't know how to setup your mail server for restricted open relaying, you should look at another PHP package (i.e. PEAR) that will authenticate when sending emails.