php/other language (perl)

Hi,

I'm used to work with php/MySQL, and have developped a web app in php.
As I'm working on biological applications, I would like to use some of the BioPerl features.
My first idea was calling perl through php (system command). But I'm wondering about the security issues, as some data (for example sequences) will be entered by my users, and I don't really know if safe_mode can help me here.
My second idea was to make a kind of hybrid application, keeping the php structure that is already implemented and adding just some pages in perl.
I don't know if this is possible, first to use the both at the same time, then they both will have to connect to the database.

Does anybody here has any experience of that kind of thing or could point me to a doc?
Thanks a lot.