authenticating using system user list

I have a database program using postgres and having
a PHP front end. It requires people to login to gain access.
Everyone who needs to login to that database program has
a system user account in that machine. (since it's also the
email server)

What is the best way to authenticate using
the system users/passwd? (/etc/shadow ?) I hate to create a a new set
of username/password in postgres for each person just
to be able to login to this program. And it would really
help a lot because they don't have to remember two
passwords.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks