Mail question

I have a quick, probably easy to answer question.  I am trying to add the
ability to email from like a quest book or a calendar event and get an
authentication error in my error log.  I can only believe that this is due
to my smtp server needed to know my login and password.  Is there a way I
can pass this in the php.ini file?  I am using apache 2.0 and PHP 4.03 on a
windows xp machine.  If this can be done, please let me know, any other
suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks
-Rich