empty set query

I have a query which can result in an empty set/ no matching records. The code I have which returns a code is:

$result = mysqli_query($link, $sql);
   while ($query = mysqli_fetch_array($result)){
   $title = $query['title'];
   $director = $query['director'];
     }

If the resulting query is a empty set, which variable or item to I refence as null. I already tried
if (!query) and (!$title)

and neither of them work. I also tried if either of them are null. I don't need someone to give me a long explanation just a small bump as to what I should be referencing. In other words, what is it that I should reference? Should I just write a code that returns number of rows and use that?

Jzf