Re: Re: Newbie Setup Trouble

Mike,
There is no database sepcified in your code anywhere. The line:
$result = mysql_query($sql); does not specify which database you are connecting to either. You can specify the database in the line:
$link = mysql_connect($host,$user,$password,$database); //or in a separate line with the function
mysql_select_db("database name",$link) //where $link is the connection info above
And then use in the line:
$result = mysql_query($link, $sql); //this enable the query to find the connection and the code.

I hope this makes sense. I have only been doing this a couple of weeks. Some books have the ($link,$sql) order reversed which will also give you an error. IN ADDITION, if you are using mysqli you need to enter this ext in the PHP.ini file. I can only connect using mysqli and not mysql.
Good luck,
jzf

This should help you.

Mike Rondeau wrote:

  Hello,

I have just begun study of using PHP, MySQL and Apache server. Right now I'm following a book, "PHP and MySQL For Dummies" and am having trouble already. I must be a REAL dummy! I have installed all 3 programs but something is not right somewhere. Being so new to this I am having a real time trying to figure out which program is messed up. Certain things work, but others don't.

For instance, my book told me how to make a phpinfo.php page, which works fine. But it also tells me to create some other pages to test if PHP and MySQL are working or not. I followed the scripts provided exactly but keep getting syntax errors, even though the script is just what the authors wrote. For instance, it said to make a page and call it mysql_up.php. Here's the script for it:

<!-- mysql_up.php -->
<?php
$host="localhost";
$user="blablablabla";
$password="blablabla";

mysql_connect($host,$user,$password);
$sql="show status";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
if ($result == 0)
{
   echo "<b>Error " . mysql_errno() . ": "
         . mysql_error() . "</b>";
}
else
{
?>
<!-- Table that displays the results -->
  <?php
    for ($i = 0; $i < mysql_num_rows($result); $i++) {
      echo "<TR>";
      $row_array = mysql_fetch_row($result);
      for ($j = 0; $j < mysql_num_fields($result); $j++)
      {
        echo "<TD>" . $row_array[$j] . "</td>";
      }
      echo "</tr>";
    }
  ?>
<?php } ?>

But when I open it in my browser I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\mysql_up.php on line 10

Could anyone of you smart people point me in the right direction? I'd be pulling my hair out if I had any left :)

I can't make any progress with this study until I know my 3 programs are talking to eachother properly, but my book gives no info on this error.

Thanks a millionfold for any advice, and I appologise for the length of this post.

Sincerely,
Mike Rondeau