Bad Search Results from Query

I am trying to search through a Field that has the following data in it,
basically state abbreviation with zip code data.

The NOTES field is setup as a varchar(75)

Record 1      Al GA CA

Record 2      FL AL upper

Record 3     all others in CA

Record 4     CA zip 123456, 456789

The data is passed in a variable from a submit scripts as $terr , let say we
are searching for anybody with AL Alabama in there territory. The 3
queries I have tried all return more then I need or nothing at all.

Is there a way search a Field that will return only records 1 and record 2
or make the search case sensitive for states and return only records 1 and
2?

I am currently using the first query listed. If I use the second query the $
is treated as an expression and not the true variable being passed in from a
submit form.

$sql = ("select last_name, first_name, phone, email, csr, line, picture,
notes, id from address where notes like '%$terr%' " );

$sql = ("select last_name, first_name, phone, email, csr, line, picture,
notes, id from address where notes REGEXP BINARY '[$terr]' " );

$sql = ("select last_name, first_name, phone, email, csr, line, picture,
notes, id from address where MATCH(notes) AGAINST ('\"$terr\"') " );

Any help would be appreciated.

DB      = MySql version 3.23.47

Code =  PHP 4.2.0

OS      = RedHat

Larry Sandwick

Sarreid, Ltd.

Network/System Administrator

phone: (252) 291-1414 x223

fax      : (252) 237-1592

  _____

It has removed 6574 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/Product_Info.asp?>  for free
now!