Only allow authorised people access to their own images, using a standard authentication system, and retrieve the image filenames they're allowed from the DB, append that to your protected directory path, and use readfile() to pass through the file data directly to the browser.

Really, don't store them in the database ;-)

Cheers - Neil

At 18:59 18/01/2005 +0000, you wrote:
From: "mel list_php" <list_php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:30:12 +0000
Subject: mysql - image storing

Hi list,

I try to store/retrieve pictures into MySQL.

I know that a lot of people will say this is not a good practice, so here are briefly my reasons:
-I want to protect that pictures (restricted access)
-I don't want to use htaccess as I want my users to be able to modify their password whenever they want, and I don't want to modify dynamically an htaccess file.
-I could store them on the filesystem (my actual solution), but I have only few pictures, so I would like to give the MySQL option a trial.

======================================================== CaptionKit http://www.captionkit.com : Production tools for accessible subtitled internet media, transcripts and searchable video. Supports Real Player, Quicktime and Windows Media Player.

VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
for a connected world.