Re: i am lost (php warning)

The mysql_num_rows function requires that the argument passed to it should be a valid MySQL result from a Select statement. Your script doesn't explicitly establish a connection with the database so you could be getting an error from that call, hence $sql_query would not be a valid MySQL result. Try adding the following:

if (!$sql_query) {
   die('Invalid query: ' . mysql_error());
}

graeme

Earl Clare wrote:

Hi ya'll,

I am lost as to why I am getting this error in my script. Can anyone kindly
explain why this is so.

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result
resource in /home/cm/public_html/cell/login.php

---

                             My script

---

if($_POST['submit'] == '>Log In')

{

           $user=$_POST["email"];

           $pass=$_POST["pass"];

           $sql_query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM cm_customer WHERE
emial='$user'");

           $sql_query = mysql_num_rows($sql_query);

           if (($sql_query) >0)

{

                                   $valid = $user;

                                   session_start();

                                   session_register("valid");

}

}

 if (session_is_registered("reg"))

 {

             echo "ok";

 }

 else

 {

    echo "sorry";

 }

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

Minna Antrim