Re: semi-newbie | php, mysql & RH Enterprise

On Sunday 02 January 2005 05:44, Evan Cooch wrote:
> Jason Wong made several helpful suggestions to my earlier query - alas, non
> of them have panned out.

That's because you have more problems than you know. Basically it mostly boils
down to RH putting things in non-default places.

> As per his suggestion, I went into php.ini and changed the default mysql
> socket to
>
>          mysql.default_socket =/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>
> Then, I rebooted the system, since I'm guessing changes to php.ini aren't
> dynamic (like everything else that parses a config file isn't).

Hmm, I see you're used to the Windows philosphy of rebooting everytime you
"move your mouse" so that the "changes can take effect". All you need do is
restart Apache.

> But, this didn't work.  Two possible answers:

[snip]

> 2) but, perhaps its simply because changes to php.ini aren't being read.

That explains why your changes to mysql.default_socket have no effect.

> In
> fact, this might also be the case:  when I run info.php, I get the
> following for the mySQL bits:
>
> Active Persistent Links    0
> Active Links    0
> Client API version    3.23.49
> MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE    builtin
> MYSQL_SOCKET        /tmp/mysql.sock
> MYSQL_INCLUDE    no value
> MYSQL_LIBS       no value

> So, I have a look at the top bits from the info.php output. It tells me
> that the Configuration File (php.ini) Path is /usr/local/lib. Not /etc.
> But, copying php.ini from /etc to /usr/local/lib doesn't seem to have done
> the trick.

The output from phpinfo() will give the definitive location for where PHP
expects to find its php.ini. Did you restart webserver? Search php-general
archives for more info about php.ini.

> So, something more fundamental. And (tada) I think its because I have two
> versions of PHP on the machine. The old one (4.3.2-19ent) that comes with
> RH Enterprise, and the version I compiled from the PHP 4.3.10 tarball. I
> can confirm that I have 2 binaries.
>
> So, suggestions? I'm total confused by all this. I don't want to use 4.3.2,
> since its got a number of security issues that were corrected with
> 4.3.10.  Should I simply re-install, but try to make sure PHP is NOT
> loaded, and then do it manually myself from the tarball? Or is there a way
> I can get everything to work with the 4.3.10 installation, and ignore the
> older 4.3.2?

Although not strictly necessary it is however strongly recommended that you do
remove RH's PHP, and if you're feeling brave I suggest removing Apache too
and install both from source, just follow the instructions in manual. And
while you're at it you might as well ditch RH's MySQL and install MySQL's own
RPMs. That way you can keep on top of all the updates that RH7.3 won't be
having.