Help in learning PHP and MySQL

I apologize if this is a very basic question.

I just started learing PHP and MySQL, I am reading "PHP and MySQL" by Larry Ullman, I also have access to PHP 5 by Julie Meloni. I reached Chapter 6 of Ullman's book and got stuck.

I have the following code:

<?php
//This file contains the database access information. This file also establishes a connection
//to MYSQL and selects the database.
//Set the database access information as constants
define ('DB_USER', 'masud');
define ('DB_PASSWORD', 'masud');
define ('DB_HOST', 'localhost');
define ('DB_NAME', 'masud');
//Make the connection and then select the database
$dbc = mysql_connect (DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PASSWORD);
mysql_select_db(DB_NAME);
?>

I have a normal MySQL user as "masud", whose password is also "masud" and a database also called "masud". All this for learning purpose.

I get the following error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\CTA\mysql_connect.php on line 13

The books says:
If you receive an error that claims mysql_connect() is an undefined function, it means that PHP has not been compiled with MySQL support.

I have been running a test script with <? phpinfo(); ?> and I get the results successfully.

I am running Windows XP with Apache 2 server and PHP5 5.0.3

I would appreciate if you could help me in any way, including pointing me to resources that can help get going.

Thank you,

Masud