Re: HTTP Auth for PHPMyAdmin

Martin Norland wrote:

>What do you mean proper HTTP authorization for PHPMyAdmin - do you want
>it to log you in automatically, or do you want to use .htaccess to
>protect your PHPMyAdmin scripts?
>
>By your statement of config file, and talking about PHPMyAdmin - I'm
>assuming that you've configured it to automatically log you in - in
>which case I would suggest you verify you can login with the same exact
>paramters on its normal login, as well as confirming that the parameters
>are indeed set when it attempts to check them.

Sorry I was being chased out of the building at the end of the day when I was writing that e-mail :)

What I meant was I want to setup phpMyAdmin so that a login is required when you access the pages (i.e. you must enter a u/n and pwd in a dialog).
Currently my config.inc.php is set so that the '$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'config'; and I supply the MySQL user and pwd in the config.inc.php and it connects automatically. This is not ideal as I'd like to prevent others accessing it, for security and integrity reasons.

If I set the config.inc.php value to '$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'http';' then it will show a login dialog on connection but any u/n and pwd I try (based on the MySQL grant tables) is rejected.

What I need to know is what is the best way to limit access to the pages, do I ignore the config.inc.php and setup some other system or can i use the grant tables from my MySQL server?

Ideally I would want to log into the MySQL server as either my normal 'dbadmin' user OR 'root' as only 'root' has alteration rights on the grant tables so stuff that is outside the auspices of normal admin is easier to carry out (i.e. doesn't involve me hacking the config.inc.php all the time).

--
Mark Benson

http://homepage.mac.com/markbenson