RE: php5 and mysql_connect

> AFAIK no version of PHP ever did compile with mysql by default. You
*had* to
> use --with-mysql if you wanted mysql support. The choice was whether
to use
> the bundled library (the default if you didn't specify a directory
with
> --with-mysql) or some other library.
<snip>
> If this is where you got the above from, then maybe you would like to
point
> out to them that it is incorrect (not that it matters to people using
PHP5 --
> but people using PHP4 might wonder why they don't have mysql support
when it
> is "supposed to be enabled by default").
<snip>
> Actually, reading it again, it doesn't explicitly say the versions of
PHP
> older than PHP5 enabled by mysql by default. Maybe it is your
interpretation
> and reading between the lines which led to your above statement :)

I'd like to point out to them that it's my intepretation that's
incorrect.  Only thing is, shucks - it's not.  Oh well, can't please all
of the people all of the time.

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

 "In PHP 4, the option --with-mysql is enabled by default. To disable
this default behavior, you may use the --without-mysql configure option.
Also in PHP 4, if you enable MySQL without specifying the path to the
MySQL install DIR, PHP will use the bundled MySQL client libraries."

I suppose we could say that it may not have been the default in PHP 3 -
but since that was released in '98, that might be pushing it a bit.  I
can't quickly find any mention of mysql and php3 on php's site - as it
relates to builtin support - but my skills in finding information there
may not be as honed as yours.

Sorry this got a little toasty, but it sure felt like a blind attack,
since the most cursory of checks revealed my statements true.

Cheers,
- Martin Norland, Database / Web Developer, International Outreach x3257
The opinion(s) contained within this email do not necessarily represent
those of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.