Re: Use of 'as' name in where sub-clause

Ross,

> If someone can give me a good reason why this is so, it will stop it
> annoying me so much.

>From the MySQL manual for version 4.0.16:

It is not allowed to use a column alias in a WHERE clause, because the column value may not yet be determined when the WHERE clause is executed. See section A.5.4 Problems with alias.

I didn't check section A.5.4, but it probably gives a more detailed
explanation.

dave