RE: [PHP-DEV] KEYBOARD

If the touch screen emulates a mouse, then you could do something in
HTML + Javascript. It wouldn't have anything to do with PHP, just a
mouse driven entry page in HTML.  You could put Internet Explorer (or
most other browsers) in "kiosk mode" (aka "full screen mode") to hide
the fact that it's in a browser (and hide the OS behind it).

If you wanted to create a non-web server and HTML based solution, then
the two main GUI's available for PHP would be GTK (multi-OS but ugly I
think, http://gtk.php.net/) and Winbinder if you want Windows-native GUI
functionality (http://winbinder.sourceforge.net).

I've been a big fan of Winbinder since I saw the initial announcement
and finally got a chance to check it out this weekend. Great stuff!
Even though it's on "version 0.31 pre-alpha", it should be stable enough
to create an on screen keyboard that lets you enter data its own window.

You could probably get it to send keypresses or raw data to other
applications using one of the following:

1. COM - for interprocess communication in Windows
2. php_ffi - For loading 'foreign' DLLs
(http://pecl.php.net/package/ffi)
3. DDE - Dynamic Data Exchange in Windows (sorry, can't find a good
example quickly.. I've seen some things with PHP talking to WinAmp which
I believe was through a DDE call, but maybe I'm getting it confused with
something else)

DDE and COM let you talk directly to an application and give it
commands.  Loading a DLL might let you do the same thing.

Just some thoughts.  It's probably easiest to either do the HTML +
Javascript or do the Winbinder or GTK method.  But it all depends on
what you need.

Good luck!  Let us know what you end up doing.

-TG