Re: Using an array(-ish) in SQL queries

At 02:37 03-11-2004, Jennifer Goodie wrote:
[snip]
> My current version generates, for multi-select cases, queries like this:
>
> DELETE FROM the_table WHERE `ID`='1' OR ID`='2' OR `ID`='3' OR `ID`='4' OR
> `ID`='5' OR `ID`='6'
>
> or similar with the SELECT statement.
[snip lots of stuff]
> DELETE FROM the_table WHERE `ID` ISIN(1,2,3,4,5,6)

use IN  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Comparison_Operators.html#IDX1268

If you know all the values in the array are escaped and safe you can just use implode() to make the list for IN

$string = implode("','",$array);
$sql = "SELECT FROM $table WHERE col_name IN('$string')";
Notice I added single quotes around the string, that is because they will be missing since implode only sticks the string between array elements.

However, you'd need a join that makes sense for a multi-table delete. I don't know if it will work with a union, I have never tried, maybe somone else will chime in.

thanks a whole bunch ... can't believe how close I was ... and I couldn't even find it in the manual :-/

and for some reason I've never thought of implode :-s ... anyways, live and learn ...

thanks :)

Rene
--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

If your life was a dream, would you wake up from a nightmare, dripping of sweat, hoping it was over? Or would you wake up happy and pleased, ready to take on the day with a smile?

http://metalbunny.net/
References, tools, and other useful stuff...
Check out the new Metalbunny forums at http://forums.metalbunny.net/