Re: can i display an image _directly_ from postgres db storage?

Typically, it's infinitely more performance-friendly to simply store your
files on the hard disk and use the database to refer to that location.

For instance, assume your root web dir is /www. Inside there you have an
/images directory.

If you religiously put all files inside of /images you can store the file
name inside the DB and simply have your code output the proper HTML. Or, if
you have to actually do image processing, you can have your code query the
DB and then read the file into an image handler for GD or whatever you're
using to do the processing.

Either way, it's usually encouraged not to store BLOBs whenever possible due
to the performance hit that's usually associated with that.

although it's a kind gesture to worry about my site's performance, i would still like to find out how to do this and maybe test the performance myself.

also, note that i'd like to be able to do this without the use of apache's cocoon database reader, as i doubt my lame webhost would install that for me.

- philip