SELECT MAX(column_name) AS max_number FROM table

Make sure the column's indexed if you do it often !
Cheers - Neil

At 03:32 28/10/2004 +0000, you wrote:
From: "Chris Payne" <cjp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:33:02 -0400
Subject: Finding the highest number in a column?

Hi there everyone,

I am working with a very complex system where not all numbers are assigned
1, 2, 3 ?? etc ?? so there could be a row with the number 1 and then the
next row could be 40 and so on ??

Is there a way with PHP and MySQL to find out what the highest number is in
a particular column easily when the numbers are auto-incremented so aren?t
necessarily one after the other?

I would really appreciate any help on this as it?s really bugging me.

Chris

CaptionKit http://www.captionkit.com : Production tools
for accessible subtitled internet media, transcripts
and searchable video. Supports Real Player, Quicktime
and Windows Media Player.

VideoChat with friends online, get Freshly Toasted every
day at http://www.fresh-toast.net : NetMeeting solutions
for a connected world.