mysqli prepared statement query result sets

Hi,

I'm writing a db abstraction layer driver for MySQLi. I'm glad to finally get a chance to play around with these new functions, but am completely stumped by this question:

Is there no way to get back a standard resultset when using prepared statement queries?

I can't believe this would be the case, but it seems that the only option when using prepared statements is to call myslqi_stmt_bind_result(), binding results to php variables and then call mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt) until it returns null. i.e.

	$sql = "SELECT name, age FROM friends WHERE country = ?";
	$stmt = mysqli_prepare($link, $sql);

	$country = "Haiti";
	mysqli_bind_param($stmt, "s", $country);

	mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt);

   	/* bind result variables */
   	mysqli_stmt_bind_result($stmt, $name, $age);

	/* fetch values */
	while (mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt)) {
		printf ("%s (%s)\n", $name, $code);
	}

What I want to be able to do is use things like mysqli_fetch_assoc() instead of this weird, side-effect-prone mysqli_stmt_fetch() to retrieve the results.

I don't see the solution, but I hope I'm just missing something because I've been staring at it too long.

Thanks in advance,
Hans