backing up off of web host

The MySQL database on my web host has only non-sensitive information.

How bad an idea is it to have a backup copy emailed to me at a designated time so I don't have to depend on myself and the host for backups? I am worried this cheep web host will go out of business and take my backups with him.

The file will be rediculously huge  for email of course.
Is this the only problem?

What other solutions do I have that do not depend on my web host?

Matt