how to connect to dbase

Hi All,

I am quite new to php. I have a requirement to query dbase file to
implement searching on table columns. Now I am following a basic
approach using dbase_get_record_with_names($fileHandler,
$iterationIndex). This seems to be a rudimentary approach and has
performance bottleneck. For the purpose of   paging this is a big
stopper.
I request php guys to show me how to use Connection to fire a query. I
am afraid I can't use system dsn since the underline dbase file could be
dynamic. Pl. suggest me how to use direct connection through url or file
dsn. This is in context to web apps development.

Regards,
Swapan