Re: Database Backup

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:33:08 -0400, Aaron Todd <aaloki88@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What is everyone doing to backup a MySQL database.  Just in case...I'd like
> to backup mine, but I was wondering if there was a way to do it without
> going to a page and clicking a button.  Is there a way to run a php script
> on a time schedule and then push a backup file to an FTP server or
> something.  Anyone out there doing anything like this?

Personally, I go straight to the source.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysqldump.html

You can write a PHP script that runs the dump, compresses the file and
FTP's the file anywhere you like.  As Martin mentioned, You can run
this PHP script from your crontab or Task Scheduler by invoking the
interpreter from the command line, i.e. '/usr/local/bin/php
/home/mydir/scripts/backupDB.php'.