Arabic characters displayed as garbage !!

Hi,

I'm working on a website that needs to save and display Arabic characters.
I'm using MySQL database and no matter how I insert the data either using
phpMyAdmin or inserting it using a script of my own, when I try to show
(display) the data I previously saved (which contains Arabic characters),
the output is rubbish and has no relation with the words I saved

the script I'm using for displaying the data is as simple as the following
one

//===========================================================
<?php
 include("db.php");
 $result = mysql_query("select * from mem_applications");
 if ($result)
 {
   while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
   {
     echo $row['first_name'];
  echo "<br>";
  echo $row['mid_name'];