Passing url parameters

I swear this is not a repeat of earlier post :)

When passing variables via URL, my understanding is
that the value passed is the database column name.
What I don't understand is the name / label part.  It
seems like the only name I can use is the same name as
the value.

i.e.
Database column: Myfield
Value: _get["Myfield"]
Name: Myfield  (this is the one I want to change, so
my database column is not identified in the url)

This make sense ?
I hope this is not off topic.  If it is my apologies.

Stuart