RE: Setting a timed-session

http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.session-set-cookie-params.php is what you need to look at.

set_time_limit only sets a time limit for the script itself. it does not affect the sessions

bastien

From: Philip Thompson <prthomp@xxxxxxxx>
To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Setting a timed-session
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:16:44 -0500

Hi all.

This may be a bit elementary, however, I am confused on the functionality of it. I am wanting to create a session that logs out after a certain amount of time, no matter if the user is doing something or not. I have used the function `set_time_limit()`, but I don't know if I'm using it properly.

What I do is whenever a certain page is accessed, I call that function. I tested it with 10 seconds, but nothing seemed to happen. Is it supposed to kill the session and all of the $_SESSION variables? Or what exactly is it supposed to do?

I looked on the php site, but I'm still a bit baffled? Any insight?

http://us4.php.net/function.set-time-limit

Thanks in advance,
~Philip

Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen Technology. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.