Re: rand()

-------------- Original message from blackwater dev : --------------
> select * from clients order by RAND()
>
> THe query runs fine on my local server but when I run it on my hosts
> server, it works ok if there is only one record in the db but then
> there is more than one...I get this error:
>
> #1 - Can't create/write to file '/var/tmp/#sqlbe_1d99_0.MYI' (Errcode: 2)
>
> What's going on?

perror 2 returns "Error code   2:  No such file or directory"

Does /var/tmp exist on the server?

If you run explain on your query in both cases (with one record and with more than one record) you will see that when there is more than one record it is probably using temporary tables and file sort, but is not when there's only one record.