Re: Passing URL parameters, how to hide

Ok, so you can't store the record id in the session, no problem. Assuming you store the userid in a session, you can pass the record id in the hidden field.

Then when retreiving the data, after validating the record_num

How to validate:

If you know that the record_is id only numeric, then check for that, if its alpha and of a certain length, check for that, if there is a pattern to the record_id (like AA-123) then use regex to check the data.

You can also validate the IP of the user for the session. Since many people are still on dialup, they do not have a static IP and therefore its of little value to store...but it should remain the same for the session.

$sql = 'select * from tableName where record_id = $record_id and user_id = {$_SESSION['user_id']}';

$result = mysql_query($sql);

if (mysql_num_rows($result)!= 1){
//either more than 1 row or no rows so present the user with an error message and the form / page to choose their record again

}else{
//data retreived is ok...so pass the results to the user in form or whatever

}//end if

As for the design/build of the security system, its up to you. But the one thing that is useful is that you can use over and over if its well designed,

Bastien