Re: Which Database Abstraction Layer ?

Jeffrey Moss wrote:

Doesn't do Firebird yet ;) - but it looks interesting. As long as it has
not made the mistake of using MySQL as the SQL standard. Many other
packages are simply MySQL wrappers with cobbled support for a couple of
other engines.

I was curious about Firebird as I've heard it mentioned a lot lately. What's so great about it in your opinion, in comparison to MySQL and Postgress? (currently I use both of these)

Firebird is the open source version of Interbase, which is itself 20 years old this week.
Firebird has had triggers, stored procedures, User defined functions, events, and runs on a large number of OS's for many years.
Current 'records' for database size exceed 200Gb and there are many systems running with over 10Gb databases in real time.
Firebird should be compared to Oracle rather than MySQL and to a lesser extent PostgreSQL. Both of the later are some way off providing all of the currently available Firebird facilities. And all of those facilities are licence free in Firebird - no looking over you shoulder at MySQL licences ( not sure about PostgreSQL - it would not run on Windows when I last looked at it ;) )
Firebird installs and runs 24/7 without DBA's or manual intervention.

--
Lester Caine