Pear DB and DB_DataObject : recommended?

Howdy.

The question: How commonly accepted and recommended are the PEAR packages DB and DB_DataObject?  Anybody have some warnings or encouraging stories from projects done with these php enhancement packs?

I'm about to get started on a php and postgreSQL project that is starting from scratch.  I'm relatively new to php, having only done code maintenance on other projects while working in a variety of other development environments (mainly .asp.)  So, I'd rather not waste time learning to use these tools if they aren't something that other developers will be happy using as others are brought onto this project.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions,

Bob S.