Re: IP-Banning

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 11:24, Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm writing a script that'll enable me to ban certain IP-addresses from
> a site, and i have a qouple of questions:
>
> 1. 	When inserting the IP into the database (probably MySQL), should
> 	i use the dotted- or the long-type?

ip2long() and long2ip() are useful in reducing the amount of data you
must store.  If you use those PHP functions a 15 char ip address string
can be stored as a 4 byte signed int in MySQL, a savings of up to 11
bytes per address.  Postgres has native types for IPs however.

> 2.	What is the best way to ban IP ranges?

There are several packages in PEAR for use with IPs:
http://pear.php.net/packages.php?catpid=16&catname=Networking

--
Greg Donald