Using global variables in mysqli-extended class

Could someone confirm or deny this? I'm running php5.0.0 with mysqli extention as a Apache2 module on a Windows XP box. I've tested the database by querying it with mysqli (procedural) and results are coming back just fine. This makes me believe that the mysqli-extention is working properly.

Running this code (see below), you would expect an output like "xconstructorytest" however, I'm getting "xy" (the private variable $somevar isn't set and/or read). No reported errors or warnings.

Changing the line that says

 class database_foobar extends mysqli
 class database_foobar

gets me the expected result of "xconstructorytest". Somehow, making the class an extention of mysqli, seems to interfere with calling the $somevar variable.

Can anyone confirm this, or explain this behaviour to me?

Regards,

	Guus der Kinderen

// ************ php code ***********

error_reporting(E_ALL);