RE: Wait Statement... ?

Similarly, I could adjust my brute force attack to sleep() a pre-determined
amount of time too ;-)

The whole 'sleep()' idea just seems silly. I agree with Jason. Just validate
and be done. A better way to stop attacks is to have a tally of failed
logins if you really are that worried someone is going to brute-force you.
Then after 3 fails, just don't let that IP connect or add other intelligent
handling. Maybe add them to a 'ban list' after x amount of failed tries. You
can get the $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] or use the session id or whatever.