Mysql and rollbacks

I'm developing a site where I anticipate the need to make several updates to
several forms, and I'll want to "commit" them all at once (i.e. if there's a
failure with any of the transactions, I'd like to be able to back out to
before I started).

Is there a decent way to do this with PHP and Mysql?  Obviously start with
ignoring user interrupt, and I was thinking a fairly easy way to reduce the
risk is to perform numerous tests before attempting any activity, but that
means at least doubling my database activity - does that pose more
performance issues than it solves?

Or has someone else got a good strategy for dealing with this? Perhaps
writing temp-rows, and then executing some sort of stored procedure to move
all the temp-rows to the real tables in one fell swoop?  Or, really, any
wisdom to impart?

-P