Re: cookie issue

--- Sukanto Kho <starofflame@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hah?? cookie do not have any id ?? so how to identify user when
> same user
> login from 2 different PC??

They have to log in again. How could you know that a user was the
same from PC to PC if they didn't log in again? Now, that's not to
say that you can't have two cookies on two different machines with
the same user info. But as soon as they do anything on one machine
that changes the cookie, the machines will be out of sync.

You could store the info in a database, and just put a user-ID in the
cookie. They'll have to log in once at each machine, but there is
less chance of things gretting out of sync, since all changing data
is in the db.

BTW, sessions and cookies are not mutually exclusive.

> I prefer Session too... and I'm used to build website using session
> but I found 1 problem is that ... session_id keep destroyed by my
> web
> hosting...
> I'm not sure what cause the problem( web hosting or other)...

It's possible that they're clearing out the tmp directory where the
session files are stored. Can you specify another location for them?

> Or maybe the session life time expired??? but the session lifetime
> just so
> short..
> and I dont have the right given to change the session life time in
> php.ini
> (at my webhosting)...
> and I think it's not quite nice to set the session lifetime using
> PHP in my
> each pages...

Is sessions life something you could set in .htaccess? ... checking
php docs... yes, session.save_path can be set in .htaccess or via
ini_set(). Might be worth a try... In fact, almost all session
settings can be set that way.

> I do appreciate ur advice but I think that's not the best solution
> ...sorry....,
> I have to change all my pages to that...Quite wasting time .....
>
> but Thanx a lot...

Mark Weinstock
mark_weinstock@xxxxxxxxx