More problems with searching

After the very kind help i was given last night I have the query being built
right, however the query does not work. Just to refresh, the gentlemen who
had helped me suggested creation of a query that looks like:

SELECT * FROM table1 where 1 or cat or dog...and so forth. Now, this query
is building fine, but the where 1 is causing it to return rows even if it
has none of the search terms. When i run it in sql without the where 1 it
works as it should, but with that, i get all rows returned. Is there a way i
can reword this query or am I doing something wrong?

this was Mr Holmes's solution (in part):
$query = "SELECT * FROM keyword WHERE 1 "
$words = explode(' ',$_GET['search_text']);
foreach($words as $word)
{ $query .= " AND keyword = '$word' "; }

Ideas?

Shiloh