Javascript help require

I need Javascript help for this....

1)I want to validate a variable called "name"
If variable's value is not set then system should say
"Value require".
If its not alphabatic then system should say
"Alphabatic value require". And curser's focus should
come on textbox named "name".
2)I want to validate a variable called "Phone_no"
If variable's value is not set then system should say
"Value require".
If its not numeric then system should say "Numeric
value require". And curser's focus should come on
textbox named "Phone_no".

Pls answer if you can. I have tried but not 100%
succeed.

Regards
Rinku