Re: Connecting to Oracle DB on another server

Beni,

You have two related problems: (i) the error ORA-12154 and (ii) Oracle
couldn't find its data file containing the error text to display with
ORA-12154.

Make sure the standard Oracle environment variables are set in the
environment that starts the web server.  See

http://otn.oracle.com/tech/opensource/php/php_troubleshooting_faq.html#envvars

Chris

roy.a.jones@xxxxxxx wrote:
Beni ... I am using the same setup as you are describing ... Here is my connect information ...

OCILogon($username,$password,$tns_alias)

The error that you are getting ORA-12154 has the following text on a lookup ... This leads me to believe that php is unable to find your tnsnames.ora file or the tns entry is invalid. I would try to connect to your DB from sqlplus from your php server [ sqlplus username/password@tns_alias ].

[oracle @ usphdba]: oerr ora 12154
12154, 00000, "TNS:could not resolve service name"
// *Cause: The service name specified is not defined correctly in the
// TNSNAMES.ORA file.
// *Action: Make the following checks and correct the error:
// - Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper
// place and accessible. See the operating system specific manual
// for details on the required name and location.
// - Check to see that the service name exists in one of the
// TNSNAMES.ORA files and add it if necessary.
// - Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file.
// Particularly look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters.
// Any error in a TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See
// Chapter 4 in the SQL*Net V2 Administrator's Guide. If
// possible, regenerate the configuration files using the Oracle
// Network Manager.

Roy A. Jones US Pharma Database Administration GlaxoSmithKline Inc. US Pharma IT, Shared Services Email: roy.a.jones@xxxxxxx

"Beni Buess" <beni.buess@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 15-Jun-2004 10:14
php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
 Connecting to Oracle DB on antother server

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to an oracle database which is itself on antother
server than php is running. on the php machine is an oracle client
succesfully installed.
i've tried the different functions to connect to oracle:

ociplogon('user','pass');

as well as ocinlogon, both with and without the optional third
parameter, where i gave the name of the entry in tnsnames.ora as well as
the value of ORACLE_SID.

i always got a following error message:
Warning: ociplogon() [function.ociplogon]: _oci_open_server: Error while
trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154

could anybody point me to the right direction, or is there somebody who has already done such a connection and could give me an example.

thanks a lot...

Beni