MySQL persistent connections

Hey there PHP fiends,

I have a bit of cookie here. We're designing a PHP based app that uses MySQL as
the data storage. Scalability is an issue, we want to be able to handle up to
10000 people utilizing the system (not at once of course).

Question is, should I be connecting and disconnecting from the DB on each
operation or increase the maximum number of allowed connections with MySQL and
connect just once.

TIA